Monday 1 October 2012

My birthday...and the horrors of the french postal service

This weekend past (besides that fact that I had my birthday) was meh. It rained soooo much. I think the foretold month of gray, rainy weather has begun. 

On saturday, my friends and I decided to get up early and go to the sketch market....it was pouring rain. While fun, I didn't buy anything and just got really wet. The rest of the day was spent walking around in the rain and meeting up with my "exchange buddy" Samir. We got assigned each other so he could practice his english and I my french. Our meeting went well. He, my friends Krista, Estelle and I went to a tea shop and I had a really tasty green tea. The rest of the night was spent making dinner at Estelle's house. 

Sunday, my birthday. I woke up around 10 am (I wanted to sleep in!!) and then went to the university campus to meet up with my friends Estelle, Krista and Will (all others went to Annecy for the weekend). After hanging out for a while and playing a card game called Dutch Blitz (3 hours!!) we decided to go to an English pub, lovingly named Shakesbeer, to watch the finals of Irish hurling. So hurling is officially the weirdest sport ever. Look it up. It was interesting. After a pint of Magners and joining up with some others, we decided to go to the Italian quarter to get some pizza. Man oh man was mine good. I got "le moule", pizza with pesto and mussels. Damn.......just damn. Afterward I went home and skyped with my parents and Aliya. 'Twas a very good day.

Today is monday, and boy did stuff go down. Last week I decided to order some clothing online (I didn't pack very much as I only wanted to bring 1 suitcase). I figured the package would be delivered some time this week. At around 1 pm, right before my class, I get a call from an unknown number. I answer to some man asking me if my name is Cayda Rubin. I say yes, and he says he delivered my package and hangs up the phone. WOW, thought I, that's nice that they inform you of such things. HA. HA. HA.

I get a call from him again 5 minutes later. Now he is mad. He startes yelling at me about how he can't leave the package because the name on it is different than the name on the mail box. The mail box I use is under the name Anne Gonord. He keeps yelling at me saying he has to send it back because I wasn't smart enough to fill out the name right. Thankfully, one of the guys I live with happened to come down to see why someone was shouting and said he knows me and would take the package on my behalf. Thank god. When I finally get home from school I check the package to see how I spelt the name wrong. Sure enough the package says "Cayda Rubin chez Anne Gonord", but the mail box says "An. Gonord".

Are you f-ing kidding me??? The guy was tearing me a new one because I put the full first name instead of the abbreviated form on a mail box??? He was gonna send my package back for a completely minute and non-important detail like that?? I mean, I've already gotten mail from others sent to "Anne Gonord", this dude was a freaking idiot. 

Sorry for the rant. Had to get that out. Oy vey....just oy vey.

Fun facts:
-I made myself a really awesome dinner tonight


-I got sung happy birthday in several different languages on Sunday

-It's impossible to find a nice pair of shoes that isn't too expensive here. Same goes for non-ugly jackets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message...or don't, whatever.