Monday 17 September 2012

Lac Lafrey


Some of my housemates had heard of an organized trip to go to Lac Lafrey (a lake about an hour outside of Grenoble) this Sunday past. Since I hadn’t spent much time with my housemates, I decided to tag along. So my housemates Joana, Julia, Andrew, myself, and some of their friends made our way to the train/bus station.

After about an hour-long bus ride we arrived at the lake and the very small town right beside it. The lake was really pretty! It reminded me a lot of the lakes up north in cottage country. It was also a very hot day, but the lake (which comes from the higher mountains) was freezing. I didn’t go in past my knees.

After a couple of hours we decide to make our way back to the bus stop. The last two buses were at 5:30 and 6:30. I was stressing that we try for the 5:30, just incase something should go wrong. Boy was I right in thinking so. I really like my housemates, but punctuality is not their forte.

We missed the 5:30 bus because they didn’t want to leave just yet and were being really slow about getting ready. No problem, we can take the last bus at 6:30. Ha. Ha. Ha. The 6:30 bus does show up on time, but only stops to tell us that its already full and we can’t get on. “Have fun being stuck here overnight!”

My one housemate thinks we should all charge on to the bus so they either have to take us with them or call the police. Yeaaaaahhhhh, not happening. I don’t want to get a fine, or worse, get arrested or something. My other housemate, Julia, and her friend Stephanie (both of whom are German) decide to hail down a car. Within five minutes a car has pulled over and the three of us get in. Yes ladies and gentleman, I, Cayda Rubin, hitchhiked back to Grenoble. It all happened so fast.

Although the guy who picked us up was also a university student in Grenoble, and was super nice, the whole experience was sketchy and too risky for me to ever want to do it again. Julia and I rewarded our act of desperation and sketchiness with a sugar crepe.

Fun Facts/ Just incase you wanted to know:
 -My other housemates managed to hitchhike home as well, albeit hours after us

-I was 15 min late for my first class in France and it was kind of awkward.

-Bottle openers here are expensive. I can’t find one for less than 20 Euros. Until then, I guess only screw-top wine.

2 comments:

  1. You know my view of the hitchhiking experience and the fact that my already faulty heart CAN NOT take another tale like that! :)

    As for screw top wine -- there was a time that I would have been disgusted by the notion of this and insisted that you drink it out of a brown paper bag. Only "street people" drink wine with a screw top. I have matured and grown however and I now see that good french wine can be 1 euro and out of a screw top bottle! I look forward to drinking it with you in March.

    Love you lots <3 Mommy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad here - glad to here the hitch hiking was a one time experience. Your safety is a key priority. Cabs should be an option considered - it may be expensive but there is no $ amount that is too high for your safety.

    Also I am pretty sure there was a bottle opener left behind - check where the knives and other assorted cutlery is located.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message...or don't, whatever.