Saturday 15 September 2012

Tequila, kisses, horses and bread


FRIDAY--Friday night has come and we decided that it would be fitting to go out to a Pub Crawl we had all heard about. After having a quick dinner at one of the places on campus, we all made our way to O Callaghans, an Irish pub and the first stop on the pub-crawl.

Turns out, there wasn’t really a bar-hopping thing organized, so we spent the first couple of hours there just hanging around. A pint of cider (Magners = delish) and 3 tequila shots later, we were all in pretty good shape.

Weirdest thing though, the washroom was unisex, so guys are totally using the urinal while the girls wait in line. Awkward. Where do you look????? After a couple of hours we decided to go to a dance bar called Bukana. Much rejoicing when we realized the tequila shots was only 1.50 Euros. After dancing to the many Brazilian songs they kept playing we went home.

However, while waiting for the tram, some really drunk French guy went nuts, took off his shirt and started trying to start a fight with other French people. We all brushed it off until he started punching the plastic bus stop walls and everyone at the stop scattered.  Luckily he left and we all returned before missing the tram.

SATURDAY—I was invited by some friends to go hiking up one of the mountain trails, so I ventured on the tram to meet everyone for 10 am. There was a surprisingly awesome turnout, over 20 people (all friends of friends etc…) I can now say I’ve met people from Taiwan, Japan and Luxembourg!

The trail was fun but super long. It took us just over 4 hours and we didn’t really know where we were going. Luckily, in the end, we figured it out. To get to the trail we had to walk through a really quaint village called Champagnier, many horses and farms. Once we finally got higher up the mountain we had a lovely view of the country on one side, and the more modern view of a large industrial factory on the other. Very Hamilton-ish (my sentiment levels were about to burst).

Fun Facts/ General annoyances/ random musings:

-So the double cheek kiss thing is weird. I know most Europeans do it, but I mean I meet someone for the first time and they just go for it. At least buy me dinner first.

-Bread here is dirt cheap. I bought a whole baguette for 0.70 euros.

-Alcohol here is equally cheap as hell. You really have no excuse to not get drunk.

-It’s official: People of all backgrounds and languages don’t “get” my name. I may as well be called jfsjkfhinkrfdng

5 comments:

  1. Dad here - We love your name! However if you are thinking of a change should there not be a capital J? While Jfsjkfhinkrfdng Rubin does have a nice ring to it, we might just have to call you JR instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Cayda - Auntie Franny here. I'm just catching up on your adventures. You made me laugh out load several times. Have you chosen a pyseudonym given the struggles everyone is having with your name?
    Keep smiling girl - you will look back at this and appreciate the experience, the good (wishing you lots of this), the bad, (hopefully not so much of this) and the bread & tequilla (tee, hee). Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog is hilarious Cayda. Glad your having fun over there.
    -Mark Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cayda

    Just checking to see if you got my replies? Not sure I did it right. I sent a reply to your first post and your second post. Let me know.
    thanks
    Hope your day today was great! I hear you are going to Geneva on the weekend. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey monster... whatcha got planned for the b'day? A.D.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message...or don't, whatever.